Saturday, August 25, 2007

God's Work

I have thought and prayed a lot about what God may be calling me to do, as I feel there is not much opportunity for a stay at home mommy of three babies to be able to do. I have tried to volunteer my time as much as possible to ministries of the church such as the food pantry or children's ministries. Then one day it hit me. I have the most important evangelical vocation: to evangelize my family. It is my number one job as wife and mother to see to it that my husband and children make it to heaven. I must do everything in my power to create saints.
And another terribly important thing I can do is pray. It takes only a few minutes of my time and a small binder notebook. I have created a routine of praying morning and evening. I include in this time Bible passages, reflections, and intentions. I use the Magnificat as my guide. Then I put all my prayer intentions into a pretty little binder. I include my church's prayer list, the Pope's monthly prayer intentions, a list of troops dear to me, intentions people ask of me to pray, and my own special intentions. I also use this "prayer journal" to jot down prayers (my own or borrowed) to God that I may want to revisit later. I have also written prayers during especially difficult times. It brings more healing to me to put on paper my thoughts. It brings a whole new dimension to prayer.
So I may not be a missionary in a foreign country or a nun, but I can still do very important work for God.

Tell me your thoughts. Do you keep a prayer journal? What has God called you to do? How are you living your calling?

No comments: